Can Dog Eat Chocolate?

Can Dog Eat Chocolate?

5 minutes read

You know that Chocolate is one of the rare and most scrumptious delicacies that life has to offer. It is delicious and tantalizing at the same time and leaves you with a heavenly aftertaste in the mouth. It is one of the most loved foods and is consumed in large quantities all across the globe. There are numerous types and varieties of chocolate and each one of them has something different to offer. That is why it is one of the most cherished and loved edibles in the world of food and eating.

Can Dogs Eat Chocolate?

However, while chocolate is a great thing, it certainly doesn’t apply to dogs. A dog can eat almost anything right? That is what you might have heard but we are here to tell you that this is not the case. One of the most poisonous and adverse foods for dogs is chocolate. The latter might be great for consumption by humans but entails disastrous and fatalistic implications for their four-legged companions. So, that is why you should refrain from feeding any chocolate to your dog, deliberately or inadvertently.

Now, if you want to learn more about chocolate and its effects on dogs then we have you covered in this regard. All the pertinent information on this aspect is listed as follows for your convenience. Go on, have a read and inform yourself at a better level:

Why is Chocolate Bad for Dogs

Chocolate is toxic to dogs and cats as well. It is possible that your dog will not suffer a fatalistic reaction after consuming a bit of chocolate but it will still lead to considerable illness. The reason that makes chocolate toxic and harmful to dogs is because of the theobromine and caffeine that are present in it. Theobromine is a prominent part of chocolate and is akin to caffeine. They are both utilized as a stimulant for the heart, a dilator for blood vessels, diuretic, muscle relaxant, etc. A Dog’s metabolism is incapable of metabolizing caffeine and theobromine as well as we humans can. This makes them all the more sensitive and susceptible to the effects of these chemicals.

How Much Cocoa is bad for Dogs

Cocoa powder is extremely dangerous for dogs as it contains more than 50% the amount of theobromine as is found in normal chocolate. As little as about ounces can be extremely poisonous and fatal for your dog. You should immediately contact your veterinarian if your dog ends up eating cocoa powder or dark chocolate. We stress this with great vehemence that you not wait for any symptoms and immediately scoot over to the vet under such conditions.

How Much Chocolate can kill a Dog

The amount and concentration of theobromine vary from one variety of chocolate to another. The bitterer and darker the type, the more fatalistic it can be for dogs. Gourmet and baking chocolate contains a larger concentration of theobromine, about 130 to 150mg per ounce (as opposed to 44 to 58mg in normal milk chocolate). This is highly poisonous for dogs. White chocolate poses the least risk to dogs as it contains 0.25mg/ounce of theobromine. It can however cause problems like pancreatitis in dogs because of all that sugar and fat. A normal dog with a weight of 50lbs can begin to exhibit symptoms of poisoning if it consumes just 1 ounce of baker’s chocolate or 9 ounces of milk chocolate.

Many dogs don’t experience any problems after ingesting small quantities of milk chocolate. That is because it is the amount of theobromine that is to blame for poisoning dogs and we know that it varies from one type of chocolate to another. It is this amount that can prove to be harmful and even death-inducing, for dogs. As to the exact amount you should look out for, refer to the following guide:

  • At 20mg/kg, theobromine can bring about agitation, gastrointestinal unrest, and hyperactivity in dogs. The drool, vomit, and diarrhea of dogs will smell of chocolate
  • For doses that contain more than 40mg/kg, a dog can start exhibiting cardiac signs such as heightened heart rate, increased blood pressure, and it might even lead to cardiac arrhythmias
  • Neurological signs will start appearing in dogs if doses exceeding 60mg/kg are consumed. These include twitching, seizures, and tremors
  • Death usually occurs in dogs if it consumes doses of chocolate that contain 200mg/kg of theobromine. It may also be because complications occur under such conditions

What to do if my Dog eats Chocolate

The first thing that you need to do under such circumstances is not panic. You can also contact your local Pet Poison helpline for immediate assistance as well. The next thing that you should do is immediately get in contact with your veterinarian. The latter will be instrumental in getting your dog stabilized under these circumstances. Treatment is dependent upon the type and amount of chocolate that was consumed by the dog. Numerous medications can be administered for effective treatment. For instance, medications that induce vomiting in dogs will be great for expelling the theobromine from your dog’s system. Vets also use charcoal administration to block the absorption of theobromine in the dog’s body. This charcoal is administered at intervals of 4 to 6 hours for the initial 24 hour period. This allows for resorption and recirculation of theobromine in the dog’s body. The sooner that he will remove the theobromine from your dog’s system, the better it will be. Your dog’s prognosis will improve significantly if you do this.

Other methods include intravenous fluid therapy for stabilizing the dog and increasing the rate at which theobromine is excreted from the dog’s body. You should be careful and closely monitor your dog in these troubling times.

So, there you have it, all that you need to know about chocolate and its implications for your dog. We hope that you will be able to better understand this aspect. We also hope that you will take the necessary steps to ensure your dog’s safety as well.